Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Reflection on Open Letter Draft

I reviewed the drafts written by Jason and Brandon.

Responses to the bullet list on p. 60 of Students Guide

  • Who specifically is going to be reading this [letter]?
This letter is meant for my classmates and professor of this English class.
  • What biases might my readers have? Am I respecting their opinions while also achieving my purpose? 
My readers have their own interpretation and experience with this class. They may not have had the same ideas and approach to this class, but my explanation gives the background behind my experience so that my readers can understand why I had the experience that I did.
  • What are their values and expectations?
Seeing that my peers (and most certainly my professor) have all read the assignment prompt, they are likely expecting a semi-formal letter that tells my writing story. They are also expecting me to quote information from our course readings, my own work, etc.
  • How much information do I need to give my audience?
I need to give a detailed story about my own writing history; however, in terms of information about the different assignments I've completed, I can keep my elaboration minimal since my audience already has a good idea about this content.
  • What kind of language is suitable for this audience?
The purpose of this letter is to reflect on the course in a conversational, semi-formal tone. My language should not be to complex; it should reflect the kind of voice I'd like to display when speaking to my professor or peers. 
  • What tone should I use with my audience? Do I use this tone consistently throughout my draft?
As I mentioned above, my tone is semi-formal. I maintain this tone for most of my draft. Some of the later paragraphs of my letter do get a little too formal, so I will try to assuage this issue. 

No comments:

Post a Comment