Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Revisiting My Writing Process

My writing style was much different during this course than it has been for previous classes. In my first post, "My Writing Process," I described myself as a procrastinator and a heavy reviser. After taking this course, I believe that is due to the typical structure of my other courses. That is not to say that it is my professor/teacher's fault for my writing style, just that the structure of this course was better suited for me.

What helped me about this course was that the deadlines were frequent and explicit in their instructions. Whats more, each task for the deadlines was a sort of preparation for the upcoming project. The project was broken down into several different easy to manage steps: research, planning, drafting, revising, reflecting. This is unlike most courses where the ultimate deadline is given many days in advance, allowing the student to execute each step at their pleasing. This typical format is not effective for me. I benefiitted from having some instruction on how to do each step of the writing process. It made the task much less daunting and once it came time for drafting, I already had a clear idea of what to write.

In the future, I plan on implementing a similar style of writing as the one Professor Bottai facilitated us to do. His course showed me what each step looks like, making the writing process pain free and manageable. I will move forward with the techniques he has shown me so that I can be a heavy planner rather than a procrastinating heavy reviser. This is my preferred method of writing as it is low-stress and yields a more coherent piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment