Monday, July 27, 2015

Analyzing my Audience

  • What are their beliefs and assumptions?
Since my audience consists of students who are just entering my field, I would assume they lack extensive knowledge on the topic of nuclear waste. They likely assume that all nuclear waste is very dangerous and harmful to be around. With that being said, they probably understand the necesity of nuclear waste storage facilities.
  • What kind of language is appropriate for them?
I think that the language can be somewhat technical. As someone entering my field, each member of the audience should have a basic understanding of chemistry from their high school education. For that reason, my language should be limited to a level of technicality that can be understood with a high school chemistry/physics background.
  • What are their sociopolitical and economic backgrounds? 
My audience consists of students, so this defines them socially. Since I study a science related field, it is likely that they are leftward leaning in terms of political affiliation, but this is not for sure so I should write for an audience of any political background. The same goes for their economic background. Although there may be trends as to what economic backgrounds commonly choose chemical engineering as their major, it can not be determined for certain where my audience actually comes from.
  • What position might they take on the issue/
I would assume that my audience would advocate for the continued use of this nuclear repository. They likely understand the necessity of proper waste storage and the benefits of using nuclear energy.
  • What will they want to know?
They will want to know why we need a nuclear waste repository. They will also want to know what makes the WIPP a safe place for long-term waste storage.
  • In general, how can they best be persuaded?
For scientists, the best way to be persuaded is with clear evidence of the position. So the facts must point to a logical conclusion that the audience can reach themselves without explicitly being told so.

No comments:

Post a Comment